A comment by a fellow blogger Annie in response to my post Thoughts on the Brig recently prompted me to revisit the Wolves of Calla, which is probably my favorite installment of his Dark Tower series. I'd frankly forgotten the number of striking similarities between that book and Lost, especially Seasons 2 and 3. In my estimation, Wolves is right up there with Watchmen as a major influence on the show. Off the top of my head, both works feature:
* Characters in wheelchairs.
* Characters with drug addiction.
* Characters with multiple personalities.
* Kidnapped children.
* References to the Red Sox never winning the World Series.
* References to Fate and loops in time.
* References to music and vibration.
* Strange products (e.g., Apollo Bars) that resemble familiar items but are different.
* Mysterious manufacturers (e.g., Dharma Brand foods) with no discernible place of origin.
* Characters developing psychic powers.
* Large banks of television screens connected to cameras that the bad guys use to surveil the main characters.
* Characters encountering each other a second time in "another life."
I could go on...the parallels are really eerie.